Thursday 29 September 2016

DIY: HARNESS BRA

Hello all! I have been a huge fan of harnesses for a very long time, and was lucky enough to win my first in a competition two years ago. Elastic harnesses are beautiful and all, but can be extremely fiddly to get off when you're wearing them on top of your favourite bra. I was happy to see a rise in the amount of harness bra's for sale- being a huge fan of Hopeless Lingerie, seeing that brands such as Missguided and Asos were selling dupes at affordable prices was a real shocker. However, something that I've noticed is it is pretty rare to come across a padded harness bra... and being someone who is lacking in that region, I knew I'd much prefer it if I could look bustier with the pretty harness design, so decided I'd have a go at making my own!

This bra that I am making is an extremely simple design just to show you how easy it is to make it yourself, but if you want to make a more ambitious design, you're more than welcome to! I know in the future I want to make a lot more. Anyway, let's begin!

You will only need a few bits and bobs for this DIY:

  • a bra (I chose this black plain satin-like one)
  • lots of ribbon (preferably the same colour as the bra)
  • a sewing kit (needles, and a thread that matches the colour of the ribbon/bra)
  • scissors
  • a few hemming pins



Start off by measuring how high up you want the harness design to go. The best way I found was by putting the bra on and making a small mark at the highest point I want the ribbon to go. I then measured this height, and cut two pieced of ribbon to that length.


Next, work on the placement of the ribbon. I personally wanted the basic harness, with two bits of ribbon that went over my chest. Pin the ribbon in place, starting from the middle rim between the two cups. 



Once you are happy with your placement, it's time to sew the ribbon into place. This can be very fiddly, and you want to make sure that it's extremely secure! The amount of times I had to redo this because I didn't sew it strong enough to the ribbon just popped off...



You now need to sew the upper half of the ribbon in place. You can experiment with this (as I did in the photo, crossing them over) until you are happy with the placement. Once you've positioned the ribbon where you want it to be, making sure it's tight (you don't want a loose ribbon!), pin it into place. Be very careful, you don't want to stab yourself! I found bending the hemming pin  into an 'L' once it was in the right place allowed me to pin the ribbon while wearing the bra.



The final step is just sewing that ribbon into place, and then that's it! How easy was that?! You now have your own ribbon harness bra!